Over twenty-five years of Gene Costanza’s life was spent in Law Enforcement in such specialties as SWAT, K9 Handler, K9 Supervisor, Patrol Supervisor and Detective. About mid career, the desire to return to artistic endeavors surfaced after having been abandoned in his early twenties. Though dormant, there was a constant underlying desire to again delve into the mysteries of paint, light, and subject matter. Costanza believes it took a decade and a half of discipline to mold his personal tendencies to study and work as hard as one needs to in the very difficult endeavor of making a good painting. Costanza retired from law enforcement to become a full-time painter.
Primarily “self-taught,” he has studied with a number of great contemporary artist/teachers including Kevin McPherson, Matt Smith, Jeffery Watt, and has a long standing close personal as well as professional friendship with Scott L. Christensen. It is Christensen whom Costanza credits with most of his growth. Frequently these two can be found painting, fishing, hunting or just enjoying the fellowship of intimate friendship.
His work is in collections from coast to coast and is included in the permanent collection of the Academy Museum in Easton, Maryland.
Costanza is married and has two grown sons and makes his home in Eugene, OR.
- The Academy Museum Easton, MD
- Private collection of the St. Joe Companies
- Aritst’s Choice award – 12TH ANNUAL AMERICAN IMPRESSIONIST SOCIETY’S ANNUAL SHOW, OCTOBER 2011 CARMEL, CA, MOUNTAINSONG GALLERY
- Top 50 Greenhouse Gallery Salon International 2004
- American Impressionist Society 2006,2007
- (First Annual) ARTISTS CHOICE/PATRONS AWARD – Painting the Forgotten Coast – 2008
RECENT JURIED/INVITATIONAL EXHIBITIONS:
- International Museum of Contemporary Masters of Fine Art – Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX – May 2004
- Best of Plein Air – Laguna Plein Air Painters Assoc. 2007 (2 pieces)
- American Impressionist Society – 2006
- American Impressionist Society – 2007 (2 pieces)
- Plein Air Easton – July 2007
- Salon Invitational – Hilligoss Gallery, Chicago, IL -2007
- Oil Painters of America – Western Regional 2008
- Professional Member – National Academy of Professional Plein Aire Painters (NAPPAP) – 2005 – 2007
- Signature Member – Plein Air New Mexico 2005-2006
- Artist Member – Laguna Plein Air Painters of America (LPAPA)
- Artist Member – Oil Painters of America (OPA)
- Artist Member – The American Impressionist Society
- Member -California Art Club (CAC)
More of Gene’s work can be found at www.GeneCostanza.com.
Gene’s work will be on display at the Jefferson County Courts and Administration Building, 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden, CO, in the Rotunda, from September 19th to October 9th.
Cathedral Spires Park, “Meet Me at the Top” – oil on canvas